A quick and easy BBQ Pineapple and Tofu Skewers recipe for your next cookout or picnic. Vegan & Gluten-Free.
So Summer may technically be over, but we do like a cozy barbeque, be it outdoor or indoor. And the star of your next barbeque should be these Vegan BBQ Pineapple and Tofu Skewers!
Making these skewers is really easy, but don’t be confused by the long prep time – as it is with natural tofu, you need to let it marinate to absorb the flavors, sauce, and seasonings!
And you can totally make the skewers a day ahead, let them marinate overnight in the fridge, and then just toss them on the grill and be done with the meal in 10 minutes.
These tofu skewers have a nice smoky aroma thanks to the smoked paprika, bbq sauce, and marinating time, and will be lovely also when grilled in a pan in your kitchen. Also, the pineapple adds a lovely sweet and sour taste, which we absolutely love!
Give them a try for your next dinner, and let us know in the comments, how you like them!
To make these BBQ Pineapple and Tofu Skewers you will only need a couple of ingredients:
- tofu, we like to use an extra-firm variety for this recipe, but regular tofu will work just as well. See recipe notes if you are using regular tofu.
- red bell pepper, yellow or green pepper will work, too. We chose the red bell pepper, as it has the highest amount of sugar and caramelizes beautifully when grilled.
- pineapple, choose a medium-sized and ripe pineapple
- bbq sauce, choose the bbq sauce of your liking, we just used a store-bought one in this recipe, to keep it easy in fast
- seasoning: salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika; feel free to use any other seasoning you like!
Besides the main ingredients for the tofu skewers, we also used some basmati rice to serve, and some store-bought sweet chili sauce, to add flavor to the finished dish.
How to make these BBQ tofu skewers:
Making these BBQ Pineapple and Tofu skewers is really easy and can be done up to a day prior.
Start by dicing your tofu into cubes, then season it, and drizzle with the BBQ sauce. Coat evenly, then let marinate for one hour.
While the tofu is marinating, chop your vegetables and the pineapple, and soak the skewers, if using wood or bamboo. This will prevent the skewers from catching fire or burning while grilling.
Once your tofu is done marinating, thread the tofu on the skewers, along with the vegetables and pineapple.
Last step – heat up your grill, or pan, and grill the BBQ Pineapple and Tofu Skewers for about 8-10 minutes, making sure to rotate them as you do so, so they are evenly cooked on all sides. If you want, you can brush them with some more BBQ sauce while they are grilling, so the sauce will caramelize on top.
Once the tofu skewers are done, remove them from the heat and serve.
Making the skewers ahead
If you want to make these skewers ahead, season the tofu as mentioned above, then immediately assemble by threading the tofu, vegetables, and pineapple on the skewers. Place in an air-tight container and let marinate overnight in the fridge.
Serve these amazing BBQ Pineapple and Tofu Skewers with some cooked basmati rice, a drizzle of sweet chili sauce, and some lime wedges.
These skewers would also go along well with some garlic naan bread, and a bowl of leafy greens, or maybe some delicious pasta salad.
Once grilled store refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
- 250 grams extra-firm tofu
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 1/2 pineapple
- 2 tbsp bbq sauce, store-bought
- pinch of salt
- dash of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 tbsp sweet chili sauce, store-bought
- Dice your extra-firm tofu into cubes, season it with a pinch of salt, dash of black pepper, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, and
1/4 tsp smoked paprika. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of BBQ sauce of your choice, and mix to combine until evenly coated. Let marinate refrigerated for 1 hour.
- Chop the pepper and onion into even pieces. Peel the pineapple, remove the eyes, and dice into cubes of similar size to the tofu.
- Soak your skewers for 10 minutes in water so as to prevent them from catching fire and burning.
- Take a skewer and thread the tofu on it, along with the peppers, onion, and pineapple. Repeat until you have used up the ingredients.
- Grill the skewers for about 8-10 minutes on your grill or in a pan. Brush the skewers with more BBQ sauce as they grill.
- Once done, remove the tofu skewers from the heat and serve with cooked basmati rice, a drizzle of the sweet chili sauce, and some lime wedges.
Extra-firm tofu will work best in this recipe, but if you have regular tofu, just line it with a paper towel, and place a heavy pot on top. Let it press the tofu for 30 minutes so the excess water will be removed, then pat the tofu dry and dice it as per recipe instructions.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 128mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 9g
Nutrition data is automatically calculated using Nutritionix and may not be accurate.
- Vegan Grilled Tofu Skewers
- Crispy Tofu Tortilla Wraps
- Basil Tomato Tofu Sandwich
- Vegan Tofu Spring Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Easy Vegan Tofu Curry Ramen
- Vegan Thai Yellow Tofu Curry
- Vegan Pad Thai with Tofu in Peanut Sauce
Did you make this recipe? Let us know in the comments below or on social media by using #vibrantplate and tag us @vibrantplate. We’re always happy to read your feedback and LOVE seeing your take on our recipes.
This recipe is brought to you by Hofer Slovenija.