A Thai inspired Vegan Yellow Tofu Curry is ready on the table in less than 30-minutes! Super easy and delicious.
This Vegan Thai Yellow Tofu Curry was inspired by our recent trip to Thailand back in February, where curries were a staple in our daily diet. We actually had our first vegan tofu curry in a shack on the island of Lanta. It was a masaman curry with tofu and taro and so many flavors, we were in heaven, and I was immediately determined to make it ourselves, as soon as we got back home.
The beauty of curries is the variety of ingredients you can throw in a pot. Like, almost anything goes. We like to use plenty of vegetables and some kind of protein (lately, tofu is our primary choice), add the base curry paste and coconut milk, and just let it cook slowly, like a stew or sauce.
To make this Vegan Thai Yellow Tofu Curry you only need 5 basic ingredients:
- a curry paste, that you can buy in all supermarkets or in the Asian store
- coconut milk and
- vegetable stock
For this dish, we chose a mild yellow curry paste. To keep the dish vegan, make sure the curry paste is vegan as well, as many of them tend to use shrimps, which is a big no-no in our household anyway, as Mitja is allergic to shellfish.
You start by gently cooking the curry paste in a bit of oil to darken in. Then, you add in half the coconut milk and you cook it with the curry paste for a couple of minutes, until the fat in the coconut milk starts to separate. You should see it as traces of darker liquid.
Then, add in vegetables of your choice. Start with the sturdier vegetables, like onions, carrots, and eggplant, that need a longer cooking time. Also, at this point add in the rest of the coconut milk and the vegetable broth and let it cook on low to medium heat. Then, about 15 minutes in, add your softer vegetables, like zucchini, and tofu.
Cook for another 5 minutes, and then your curry should be done. Easy peasy!
Serve with some cooked rice, we like plain basmati rice or a blend of white and wholegrain long-grain rice.
This dish is great for meal-prep, as it will keep really well refrigerated up to 3 days.
- 3 tsp yellow curry paste
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 small onions
- 2 carrots
- 1 eggplant, small
- 1 zucchini
- 200 grams firm tofu
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- In a pot heat a spoon of vegetable oil. Add yellow curry paste and gently fry it, while stirring.
- Pour in half the coconut milk and continue cooking on medium heat, stirring regularly. Cook the milk with the curry paste for about 5-10 minutes, until the fat in the coconut milk starts to separate.
- To the pot add sliced onions, carrot, and eggplant, pour in the rest of the coconut milk, and the vegetable stock. Season to taste with salt, and cook the curry on low until the vegetables turn soft, or about 15 minutes.
- 5 minutes before the vegetables are done, add sliced zucchini and diced tofu.
- Serve with cooked rice, chopped parsley or coriander and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 372Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 643mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 10g
Nutrition data is automatically calculated using Nutritionix and may not be accurate.
Related: We’ve gathered pantry-meal recipes that you can make easily with what you already have in your cupboards!
Did you make this recipe? Let us know in the comments below or on social media by using #vibrantplate and tag us @vibrantplate. We’re always happy to read your feedback and LOVE seeing your take on our recipes.