These Vegan Grilled Tofu Skewers are a real breeze to make, ready in just a couple of minutes. Gluten-Free & Low-Carb!
Did anyone say, summer? We’re mid-July and this year, summer looks more like fall. It’s rainy. Cold. The temperatures in the 20’s (Celsius). It’s a bit lousy.
Want to have a barbeque? Too bad, here’s some rain for you.
Want to go hike in the mountains? Rain and cold.
There are sunny days here and there, but it’s nowhere near the scorching summer heat wave. Even ice cream and chilled watermelon sound a bit, well, cold.
So we’ve been having more soups, stews and warm dishes than usually in summer. The garden is producing like crazy, though, so we need to keep up with the vegetables, and we just find them delicious, when grilled!
So we made these totally amazing and delicious Vegan Grilled Tofu Skewers that are also easy to put together! Sliced vegetables – check. Cubed tofu – checked. A bamboo skewer – check. Hot grill – check! Just slice, assemble, grill and enjoy, preferably with some barbecue sauce to top!
These Tofu Skewers are the perfect choice when you want to get a taste of summer, and are a favorite for picnics and barbecues, loved by vegans and omnivores alike 😉
- 1 block tofu (about 180 grams; we chose Mediteran flavor by I Like Tofu)
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- salt, pepper
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 3 ts barbecue sauce
- 2 ts sesame seeds
- Press tofu to extract liquid, for about half an hour. Then, cut tofu into cubes and marinate in soy sauce
- Prepare veggies: slice zucchini, cut bell peppers and red onions into squares. Make sure every ingredient is cut to about the same size.
- Assemble skewers: stick vegetables and tofu alternately on bamboo sticks until you have used up all your vegetables.
- Heat a pan, grill pan or grill until sizzling hot, grease with some olive oil and then place skewers in and cook for a couple of minutes on each side, until the vegetables turn softer, but not mushy and the peppers start getting a char. The tofu should be golden brown. Season with salt and pepper right at the end of cooking, then brush with barbecue sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Remove from pan or grill and serve hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 118.8Total Fat: 5.3gSaturated Fat: 0.8gSodium: 501.1mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1.8gSugar: 6.4gProtein: 10.6g
Need more tofu ideas? Try some of these:
- Basil Tomato Tofu Sandwich
- Vegan Tofu Spring Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Tofu Zucchini Fritters with Peanut Sauce
If you like this recipe, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #vibrantplate and tag us @vibrantplate. We’re always happy to read your feedback and LOVE seeing your take on our recipes.