A delicious Vegan Potato Leek Soup Recipe that is ready in just 30 minutes. Creamy and filling, this recipe is fully plant-based and Easy!
I hope you all had wonderful holidays and are back rested and ready to tackle the upcoming year! We have been spending time with family and taking a couple of days off from the internet and the computer, just to clear our heads a bit.
We have also been cooking and eating, enjoying desserts and champagne, and all that. And we think it’s just about time we set cookies aside and dive into some healthy foods instead!
Are you ready for Healthy January? We sure are and we’ll be posting more healthy easy meals in the upcoming weeks!
So here is a quick and easy Creamy Vegan Potato Leek Soup Recipe that can be done in just about 30 minutes!
To make this Leek and Potato Soup Recipe you will need:
- potatoes. You will need about 4 medium-sized potatoes. We recommend using starchy potatoes that will get creamy once blended, the same kind you would use when making mashed potatoes.
- leek. You will need 1 large leek or 2-3 smaller ones.
- garlic. Anything is better with garlic and we recommend using about 3 cloves in this recipe.
- vegetable stock. This will add flavor to your soup, which would be less flavorful otherwise. You could substitute with water, but then we recommend using more spices and herbs in your soup to add flavor.
- water. In addition, you’ll need about 2 cups of water to thin the soup out. Use more or less, depending on how thick or thin you like your soup.
- Salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- parsley. Use fresh parsley if you can, but dry parsley will work just as well, just cut the amount in half. Use other herbs as well to build flavor, try with thyme or chives!
- bay leaf. We recommend using 1 bay leaf in your soup, which will just add a touch of rustic earthy flavor. You can skip this if you don’t like the taste or if you don’t have it.
- olive oil.
Try adding a drizzle of plant-based cream to your soup when serving.
Bread croutons would also work really well to add crunch and soak up the soup.
If you are not vegan, you could sprinkle the soup with some bacon, or use a plant-based alternative.
How to make the Vegan Potato Leek Soup
For this Potato Leek Soup recipe just chop vegetables that you probably have at hand already, place them in a pot and cook until the potatoes turn tender. Then a quick blend to turn the soup creamy and it’s already ready to serve!
Start by cutting your leek in half length-wise and give it a wash. Make sure to wash thoroughly between leaves, as there is often dirt hidden in there. We like to just dip them in cold water and let them soak for a couple of minutes, then run them under running water. Then drain and dry off the leek and cut into slices. Peel and dice potatoes, and slice your garlic cloves.
Once your vegetables are ready, start cooking.
Heat a pot on medium and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add leek and stir-fry for a minute, until the leeks turn a bright green color. Then, add diced potatoes and garlic slices. Cook for another minute or two, stirring regularly to make sure the vegetables do not stick to the pot. Pour in the vegetable stock, season with salt and pepper to taste, add bay leaf and chopped parsley, and cook until the potatoes turn soft. If needed, add more water while cooking.
When the vegetables are cooked, remove the bay leaf and puree with a stick blender until creamy. If the soup is too thick, stir in more water.
Serving and storing
Serve the soup hot with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of chopped parsley on top for a lovely healthy dinner. Add a toasted slice of bread on the side, or bread croutons on top.
You can store this soup refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
What to serve with this Vegan Potato Leek Soup
This soup is hearty and filling enough on its own, especially if you add a slice of bread on the side. But, if you’re looking for a more filling meal, try pairing it with our favorites:
- Vegan Crispy Potato Leek Rolls
- Hearty Radicchio Salad with Roasted Potatoes
- Vegan Lentil Stuffed Peppers
- Vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Vegan Baked Apple Cider Donuts
- 4 potatoes, medium
- 1 leek, large
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water, or more if needed
- Salt, pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Cut the leek in half length-wise and wash thoroughly between leaves. Dry it off and cut it into slices. Peel potatoes and dice. Peel and slice garlic cloves.
- Heat a pot on medium and add a tablespoon of olive oil. When heated, add sliced leek and stir-fry for a minute, until the leeks turn a bright green color. Add diced potatoes and garlic slices.
- Cook for another minute or two, stirring regularly, then add vegetable stock. Season with salt and pepper to taste, add bay leaf and chopped parsley and cook until the potatoes turn soft. If needed, add more water while cooking.
- When the vegetables are cooked, remove the bay leaf and puree with a stick blender until creamy. If the soup is too thick, stir in more water. Taste the soup and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 404mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
Nutrition data is automatically calculated using Nutritionix and may not be accurate.
Follow us to see plenty of healthy, plant-based, and no-added-sugars recipes that will help you get back on track after the Holidays 😉
If you like this recipe, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #vibrantplate and tag us @vibrantplate. We’re always happy to read your feedback and LOVE seeing your take on our recipes.