Delicious Vegan Baked Apple Cider Donuts are full of tasty fall flavors of apple and cinnamon. Fully Plant-Based.
As we’re slowly leaving fall behind and entering into winter, we’ve had our first frost this morning. It got colder, which means we crave stews, hot hearty food, and warming spices like cinnamon and nutmeg.
It’s no wonder this recipe reflects that. Say hello to Vegan Baked Apple Cider Donuts.
It’s donuts, but baked, so maybe a little bit healthier?
But don’t worry, there’s the sweetness from the apple sauce and sugar, as well as that delicious cinnamon taste, and sugary coating, as well, so it’s satisfying and comforting. Just the perfect bite to have on a foggy, chilly, late-autumn afternoon along with a steaming cup of tea.
So, how do I make these Vegan Baked Apple Cider Donuts?
Making the donuts it’s fairly easy, but you will need to make an apple cider reduction first, which just means combining apple cider with sugar in a pot and let simmer on low for 20-30 minutes until it thickens. That’s the task that takes the longest, but it barely requires any work.
Next is just combining wet and dry ingredients separately, then fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. The last step is adding a secret ingredient – apple vinegar to the mixture, which will react with the baking powder and enable the donuts to rise in the oven and get light and fluffy.
Pipe the mixture into a greased donut baking tin and bake for approximately 10-12 minutes at 190°C / 375°F, until the donuts are golden brown, then remove them from the oven and set aside to cool down.
Decorating the donuts
Once the donuts are cooled it’s time to decorate them. We went with a simple sugar and cinnamon coating with these ones, but you could also go with a chocolate coating.
How to store the donuts
These donuts will keep well if you store them in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
Vegan Baked Apple Cider Donuts
Delicious Vegan Baked Apple Cider Donuts are full of tasty fall flavors with apple and cinnamon. Fully Plant-Based.
- 330 milliliters apple cider
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp apple vinegar
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- In a pot, add 330 milliliters apple cider, 2 tbsp sugar, and 2 tbsp coconut sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook on low until the liquid reduces and thickens about 20-30 minutes. By the end, we should have about 1 cup's worth of thick liquid. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 190°C / 375°F. Lightly grease a donut baking tin.
- To the apple liquid, add 1/3 cup apple sauce, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup vegetable oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients: 1 1/2 cup flour, 3 tbsp almond flour, 1 tsp baking powder, a pinch of salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp nutmeg.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, fold in to mix it, but don't overmix. Lastly, stir in 1 tsp of apple vinegar.
- Transfer the mixture to a piping bag and pipe the dough into the donut baking tin.
- Place the baking tin into the preheated oven and bake for approximately 10-12 minutes at 190°C / 375°F, until the donuts are golden brown. Check with a toothpick that they are done, then remove the donuts from the oven and let them cool down completely.
- Once cooled, coat the donuts with melted coconut oil and roll in a mixture of sugar, coconut sugar, and cinnamon.
- Serve or store in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 80mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 3g
Nutrition data is automatically calculated using Nutritionix and may not be accurate.
This recipe is brought to you by Hofer Slovenija.
Find more recipes using apples here.
Did you make this recipe? Let us know in the comments below or on social media by using #vibrantplate and tag us @vibrantplate. We’re always happy to read your feedback and LOVE seeing your take on our recipes.
Don’t forget to connect with us on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest. We share many behind-the-scenes photos and step-by-step recipes in our Instagram Stories, so be sure to check it out!