This Radicchio salad with Roasted Potatoes is ideal for colder months. Add Curly Endive for a pop of color!
It’s radicchio salad season! Now, this is a vegetable that I have not always been keen on. It can be bitter, or tough, and I don’t like bitter tough things. But, years pass, taste changes and here I am, a reformed radicchio hater, awaiting its season eagerly each year. I especially like a couple varieties: the radicchio rosso di Treviso, the round palla rossa and a local favorite and highly sought-after indigenous variety that you will most probably not get your hands onto, as its cultivation is highly restricted: the rose-shaped radicchio goriziano.
For this salad, I used the Treviso variety, which I happened to have on hand, but other varieties will work as well. The curly endive came from my garden, where I still have a couple growing. It’s a bit bitter and tough (and I already said how much I like that, right?), but it adds a nice texture and color to the salad. Plus, it’s good for you.
This salad is simple and delicious and ideal for colder days, as the roasted potatoes warm it up.
- 300 g potatoes
- 1 large head radicchio di Treviso
- 2 cups curly endive
- 1 red onion
- a handful of schopped pecan nuts
- 1 tbs pomegranate seeds
- lemon vinaigrette
- 1 tbs olive oil
- salt, pepper
- Put potatoes in a pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Let it cook on low until the potatoes are tender. Drain and peel, slice into halves.
- In a pan heat a tablespoon of olive oil and place in the halved potatoes. Salt & pepper to taste and gently roast until the potatoes turn golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile wash and dry radicchio and endive leaves, then cut into strips. Peel onion and cut into thin slices. Place salad greens onto a plate or in a bowl, add onion slices, chopped pecans, pomegranate seeds and sprinkle the lemon vinaigrette. Top with roasted potatoes and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 506Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 440mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 10gSugar: 6gProtein: 8g
Like this recipe? Please, let us know in the comments below or on social media using #vibrantplate and tag us @vibrantplate.