Vegan White Bean and Kale Soup with potatoes is a hearty winter soup that only takes 30 minutes to make.
If you’ve been following us you know we love soup. And colder months are soup season! Though Spring is now around the corner, it’s not too late to make this Vegan White Bean and Kale Soup.
This White Bean and Kale Soup doesn’t take a lot of time, just 30 minutes in fact. And you also won’t be needing any exotic ingredients, your pantry staples will do.
You start the soup by sauteing onion, carrot, and celery (also called sofritto). Then you go in with your potatoes and minced garlic. Never fry garlic long, or it will turn bitter. Just give it a stir until you can smell the garlic fragrance. Then, pour in some of the veggie stock and let it cook until the potatoes are soft. At this point, add in your white beans. For this recipe, we went with canned white beans, that we simply drained, but you could totally cook yours from scratch if you want.
Now the tricky part. To make the soup creamier, you’ll want to remove half the soup from the pot and blend it with lemon juice until smooth. Then, return to the pot, add in finely sliced kale, cook another minute or so until the kale softens, and that’s it!
We recommend you de-stem the kale and slice it finely (even finer than pictured), as it can be chewy otherwise.
Adjust seasoning before serving if needed.
Ready to cook? Here’s the recipe:
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 potatoes, medium-size
- 2 cups cooked white beans (canned and drained)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 3 cups kale, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- In a large pot, heat vegetable oil and saute chopped onion, carrot and celery, about 5 minutes until vegetables turn soft.
- Add diced potatoes and minced garlic, give it a stir, then pour over with vegetable stock until the vegetables are just covered. Cook for about 15 minutes, until potatoes are cooked.
- To the pot, add white beans (use canned or cook separately), pour in the remaining vegetable stock, bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer.
- Remove half the soup from the pot and add to a separate pot or bowl. Add in lemon juice and with a stick blender blend until smooth. Return the blended soup to the rest of the soup and give it a stir.
- Add finely sliced kale (stem removed) and cook another 2 minutes until it softens.
- Taste the soup before serving and if needed season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with some chopped parsley.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 339Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 871mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 12gSugar: 6gProtein: 15g
Nutrition data is automatically calculated using Nutritionix and may not be accurate.
More soup recipes over here!
Did you make this recipe? Let us know in the comments below or on social media by using #vibrantplate and tag us @vibrantplate. We’re always happy to read your feedback and LOVE seeing your take on our recipes.