This Perfect Vegan Tofu Scramble Recipe is a great plant-based high-protein breakfast done in less than 15 minutes. Hearty & Satisfying.
If you’re big on a filling savory breakfast, but don’t eat the classic eggs & bacon, we have you covered with this fully plant-based Perfect Vegan Tofu Scramble!
This Tofu Scramble Recipe will be your new go-to easy morning meal that is ready in just minutes, is packed full of protein and healthy fats, and will keep you fed and happy until lunchtime.
But don’t limit yourself to just breakfast, you can have this tofu scramble any time of the day, or use it as a filling for your burritos and quesadillas.
Why make this vegan tofu scramble recipe?
Tofu is naturally plant-based and does not contain animal ingredients or cholesterol. It is made from soybeans and is also high in plant protein and calcium.
This tofu scramble is a wholesome, healthy plant-based breakfast for the whole family. You don’t have to be vegan to enjoy this dish, but it is a great way to add more plant-rich foods into your diet.
What does tofu scramble taste like?
If you make the tofu scramble using this recipe, the taste will resemble real eggs with a hint of cheese, but of course, it will not be identical. But, if you’re craving eggs, this recipe just might hit the spot.
What kind of tofu do I use for the tofu scramble?
We recommend using firm or extra-firm tofu that holds the shape well while being cooked. Choose neutral unflavored tofu.
Vegan Tofu Scramble Ingredients
Making this tofu scramble is super easy and only requires 5 main ingredients: tofu, a bit of oil, nutritional yeast, spices, and plant milk.
The nutritional yeast and spice combination is key to making the tofu scramble taste just like cheesy eggs!
To make this recipe you will need:
- Tofu. Choose a neutral flavored firm or extra-firm tofu for this recipe
- olive oil, or other vegetable oil to grease the pan
- nutritional yeast, this ingredient is key for making the recipe taste delicious, creamy, and eggy. Do not skip the nutritional yeast. You can buy it online or in all major stores.
- turmeric, will add the golden-yellow color to the scramble, making it look like real eggs
- garlic powder, for extra flavor
- onion powder, for extra flavor
- salt to enhance the flavors
- black pepper, for extra flavor
- rice milk, or other neutral-flavored plant milk. This will help get the tofu scramble creamy and soft, just like real scrambled eggs.
How do you make the Perfect Vegan Tofu Scramble?
Making this Vegan Tofu Scramble is super easy and quick, so let’s jump right into it!
Start by pressing the tofu to eliminate excess water. A quick 10-minute press should do it, but if you don’t have the time, you can skip pressing it, as the water will cook out.
Next, tap the tofu dry and crumble it into small pieces. They don’t need to be super small, as we will continue breaking up the tofu in the pan while cooking.
Separately, mix the nutritional yeast and spices with rice milk into a smooth liquid cream.
Now it’s time to start cooking!
Heat a pan over medium heat, add olive oil, and the crumbled tofu. Let it cook for about 3-4 minutes while stirring occasionally until golden brown in color. If your tofu is crumbled roughly, break it up into smaller pieces as it cooks.
Once the tofu is cooked and lightly golden in color, pour in the spiced cream and stir to combine. Make sure the tofu is well coated in the cream. Let it cook and reduce for another minute or two, depending on how creamy or dry you want it.
Don’t cook it too long as it will dry out. You want the tofu scramble to resemble the texture of scrambled eggs, which should be slightly soft and moist.
And that’s it, your scrambled tofu is ready to be served!
At this point, you can also remove the tofu from the pan, and to the same pan add a few tomato slices and just cook them down a minute, with a sprinkle of salt and black pepper on top.
Serve the tofu scramble hot from the pan, along with some toasted bread and fresh vegetables.
We like to add a sprinkle of chopped chives on top and serve it on top of toasted bread with mashed avocado. Add a slice or two of grilled or fresh tomatoes when in season.
If you want a different spin on the classic scrambled eggs, try adding vegetables to it while it cooks:
- add chopped onions and peppers before you add the tofu, cook them down until slightly charred, then add the tofu and continue cooking as per the recipe below
- add sautéed mushrooms or tomatoes
- add spinach when adding the spiced cream and let it cook down and wilt
This tofu scramble can be eaten as-is, or can also be used as a filling for your burritos or quesadillas.
You can keep the tofu scramble refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
You can reheat the tofu scramble before serving, either in a pan or in a microwave, but be careful to not overcook it or dry it out. If you’re reheating the tofu scramble on the stovetop, add a splash of plant milk or oil to keep it moist.
More delicious breakfast recipes
- Basil Tomato Tofu Sandwich
- 5-minute Basic Avocado Toast
- Dairy-Free French Toast
- 1-Bowl Mixed Berry Baked Oatmeal
- Yogurt & Berry Vegan Overnight Oats
- 300 grams extra-firm tofu
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- pinch of salt
- black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp rice milk
- Press the tofu to eliminate excess water, tap dry and then crumble it into small pieces.
- Mix nutritional yeast and spices with rice milk into a smooth cream.
- Heat a pan over medium heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil, then add in the crumbled tofu. Let it cook for a couple of minutes while stirring occasionally until golden brown in color.
- Once the tofu is cooked, pour in the spiced cream and stir to combine well with the tofu. Let it cook and reduce for another minute or two, depending on how creamy or dry you want it.
- Serve hot on top of toasted bread, tomatoes, and a sprinkle of fresh chives.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 116Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 44mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 10g
Nutrition data is automatically calculated using Nutritionix and may not be accurate.