This Basic Avocado Toast is a healthy and filling vegan breakfast ready in just 5 minutes.
I’ll admit we’re quite late to the avocado party. Is that strange? We have not grown up eating avocado, and up until just recently, we actually quite disliked it.
Guacamole? I don’t think so. Avocado toast? Disgusting! This may sound very strange to you, but that’s just because avocados are not native to Europe and most of our lives, they were just not available to try.
In recent years, we have once or twice tried to prepare it, taste it… and it was still a big no.
So it came as a big surprise to us both, when one day, out of the blue, I once again bought an avocado (my reasoning: might place it on a salad for a nice picture or something), and then one morning, being out of ideas for breakfast, and wanting something small-ish, but not the usual, I just took that avocado, opened it up, mashed it with a fork, added a drizzle of lemon, a pinch of salt & pepper and spread it on toast.
I felt like I have been missing out so much. So much. That was the best toast ever. Like, seriously, I understand the avocado frenzy now. Avocado toast is delicious!
And this Basic Avocado Toast couldn’t be easier to make! Just toast some bread of your choice, rub with a crushed garlic clove, spread the mashed avocado on top, sprinkle with some salt & pepper, and you’re done! You can add some extra ingredients, like chopped parsley and olive oil for some extra flavor, as well.
And to take this basic avocado toast to the next level, top it with some tomato slices, or a poached egg, or even some smoked salmon for the omnivores! In minutes, you have a delicious and healthy breakfast (or brunch) on your table, that will keep you fed for a long time.
- 4 slices wholewheat bread
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- 1 ts finely chopped parsley
- salt, pepper to taste
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 ts hemp seeds
- Toast your bread slices in toaster, oven or on the stove. Once toasted, remove from toaster and place on plates.
- Slice avocado in half, remove pit in scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Place in a small bowl. Add a squeeze of lemon juice, season with a pinch of salt and some pepper. Add a teaspoon of finely chopped parsley (optional). With a fork, mash the avocado until creamy and combined with the rest of the ingredients.
- Crush a clove of garlic with your knife, remove peel, and rub the inner side of the garlic on top of the toasted bread slices.
- Add avocado mash on top of bread and serve. Optionally, you can drizzle some olive oil on top and add a sprinkle of hemp seeds.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 156.4 Total Fat: 7.9g Saturated Fat: 1.2g Sodium: 192mg Carbohydrates: 13.3g Fiber: 4.4g Sugar: 1.7g Protein: 5.1g
- In need of more breakfast ideas? Check out our breakfast recipes >
If you like avocados or want to add it to your diet, try our delicious Super Green Avocado Smoothie!
If you like this recipe, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #vibrantplate and tag us @vibrantplate. We’re always happy to read your feedback and LOVE seeing your take on our recipes.