This Creamy Pesto Gnocchi with Zucchini recipe is easy and tasty. It’s a quick vegan dinner that is ready in just 20 minutes.
Just before the frost sets in, we picked up the last summer’s produce from our garden, then composted the plants that are not going to survive the upcoming winter.
And then we took the picked-up zucchini, tossed them in the pan, and made this absolutely delicious Creamy Pesto Gnocchi with Zucchini Recipe.
Here’s a secret. I don’t particularly like green pesto. I find it very sharp and strong-tasting, and as such, it usually is all you are tasting in a pesto dish. But the gnocchi and the zucchini are both delicate in flavor, so we used just a few teaspoons of pesto that we drizzled over the top of the dish to highlight the flavors without overpowering them.
If you, too, are unsure about pesto, we ask you to give this recipe a try! We promise you will love it, just as we do.
To make this Creamy Pesto Gnocchi recipe you will need:
- gnocchi. We used store-bought gnocchi to make this meal in a flash. You could absolutely make them from scratch at home if you have the time and will to do so.
- zucchini, our zucchini was rather on the smaller side, but one medium-sized one should do the trick. Feel free to add as much zucchini as you like!
- fresh herbs: parsley and basil
- garlic, you can skip it if you don’t like garlic
- vegan cooking cream. We used an oat cooking cream in this recipe, but you can also use a soy-based, or even plain old regular (cow’s) cooking cream if you are not vegan or don’t have a dairy allergy as I do
- vegan cheese. We used Violife cheddar style in this recipe. Simply V is great as well in terms of flavor and how it melts. Use a cheese that melts well – cream cheese would also work here!
- vegan pesto. Green pesto usually has parmesan cheese in it, so if you’re vegan use an appropriate alternative – you will only need a few teaspoons for this recipe, but feel free to add as much as you like!
- salt and pepper
- paprika, just a pinch will do, but you can also skip it
- almond slices or vegan parmesan cheese
How to make this Creamy Pesto Gnocchi Recipe
Making this recipe is simple and straightforward. Start by cooking your sliced zucchini in a pan. Don’t season with salt too soon, or they will release water and become mushy. We don’t want mushy zucchini.
Once the zucchini are golden-brown, stir in the herbs, pepper, and minced garlic. Lastly, season with a sprinkle of salt.
Then, to the same pan (don’t wash it or clean it), add the vegan cooking cream, stir it in the pan to release the flavors stuck on the bottom of the pan. Stir in the vegan cheese as well and let it melt into the sauce, then season with some salt and pepper.
In a separate pot, cook gnocchi according to package instructions. Once the gnocchi is cooked, transfer them to the pan with the cream, and add about 1/4 cup of the cooking water to the pan as well.
Now stir in the zucchini, drizzle with the pesto, and you’re ready to serve.
Serve the gnocchi hot from the pan – transfer them to plates, then add a drizzle of green pesto and a sprinkle of sliced almonds or vegan parmesan.
This gnocchi dish is best served immediately. But you can keep them refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to 2 days. Reheat before serving.
- 500 grams gnocchi
- 1 zucchini, medium-sized
- 1/2 tbsp parsley
- 1/2 tbsp basil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup vegan cooking cream
- 30 grams vegan cheese
- 2 tsp vegan pesto
- a pinch of salt
- a dash of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp almond slices
- Slice zucchini, then add them to a pan with a drizzle of oil and cook on medium heat until golden brown. Stir in finely chopped parsley and basil, pepper, minced garlic. Once the zucchini are done, season with salt, and remove from the pan.
- To the same pan, pour in the vegan cooking cream, let cook for a minute on medium heat, then stir in some vegan cheese and let it melt. Season to taste.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, then add in the gnocchi, reduce the heat and let cook as per package instructions. Once the gnocchi float to the top of the water, remove them from the pot and transfer them to the pan with the cooking cream. Reserve about 1/4 cup of the cooking water and add it to the pan for a creamier sauce.
- To the pan with the gnocchi, return the zucchini, and stir to combine.
- Serve the gnocchi with a drizzle of green pesto and a sprinkle of sliced almonds or vegan parmesan.
Pesto is usually not vegan, so make sure to choose a vegan brand.
Use store-bought pesto and gnocchi to speed up your cooking times. Alternatively, you can make pesto and gnocchi at home from scratch.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 504Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 139mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 11g
Nutrition data is automatically calculated using Nutritionix and may not be accurate.
Did you make this recipe? Let us know in the comments below or on social media by using #vibrantplate and tag us @vibrantplate. We’re always happy to read your feedback and LOVE seeing your take on our recipes.
And if you are looking for more recipes using zucchini, we’ve got you covered:
- Vegan Zucchini Involtini
- Chocolate Zucchini Brownies
- Smooth Zucchini Soup
- Tasty Millet Zucchini Fritters
This recipe is brought to you by Hofer.