This easy Vegan Pea Soup Recipe requires only 5 basic ingredients and makes a delicious and healthy soup in minutes.
Fresh peas season is at its peak, so you should make this 5-ingredient Vegan Pea Soup ASAP. But, if you can’t find fresh peas, frozen peas are just as good. Plus, using frozen peas means you can make this vibrant green goodness any time of the year (even in the middle of winter), and save money, as frozen peas are dirt-cheap.
All you are going to need is some peas, a potato or two, vegetable stock, an onion, and some garlic. If you want to enhance the soup and its freshness, add some fresh herbs, like parsley and lovage (we love lovage in soups!), then just cook until fork-tender and blend until smooth.
We strongly recommend serving this soup with a spoonful of plant-based yogurt or cream, a drizzle of olive oil, and a handful of blanched peas on top. Pure deliciousness!
To make this Vegan Pea Soup you will only need 5 ingredients:
- potatoes – one large potato will be enough
- peas – we used young frozen peas in this recipe that cook up really fast. You can use fresh peas, but frozen peas work just as well, are fairly cheaper and available throughout the year.
- vegetable broth – we just used a stock cube in this recipe, but if you have homemade broth, do use that instead!
You may want to add some other basic ingredients to the soup to enhance the flavor, mainly:
- vegetable oil – to saute your vegetables in
- Salt, and pepper to taste
- fresh herbs to taste – we used parsley and lovage, but this is optional
- lemon juice – the acidity will bring forward the flavors of the vegetables
How to make This Vegan Pea Soup
Making this pea soup is super simple. You will only need one pot and a (stick) blender.
Start by prepping your vegetables: peel and finely dice the onion and garlic cloves. Peel and dice the potatoes.
In a pot, heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil, then add the onion and gently fry until translucent, stirring occasionally. It’s ok if the bottom of the pot starts to brown a little – this will add flavor!
Stir in the minced garlic, then add diced potatoes and peas, pour over with the vegetable stock, and season with salt and pepper.
If you’re using fresh chopped herbs, add them to the soup at this point.
Let the soup cook on low for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes and peas are fork-tender. Then, remove it from the heat, add a tablespoon of lemon juice and blend until smooth to your liking. Either a blender or a stick blender will work.
Once the soup is blended, you’re ready to serve! If you like it chunky, you can also skip the blending.
How to make blanched peas
If you want to add some texture and crunch to your soup, we recommend adding blanched peas.
In a small pot, bring 3 cups of water to a boil, then add in a handful of peas (fresh or frozen). Let the peas cook for a minute or two, then remove them from the water with a skimmer (or drain them) and immediately place them in a bowl filled with iced water.
Let the peas cool down for a couple of minutes, then drain and serve on top of the pea soup.
Serve this vegan pea soup hot off the stove with a side of bread. Optionally you can plate the soup with a dollop of plant-based yogurt or cream, a drizzle of olive oil, some fresh thyme, a teaspoon of chopped peanuts, and blanched peas.
Store the soup refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to 4 days. Store the add-ons separately and add them to the plate just before serving.
Reheat the soup on the stove or in the microwave before serving.
You can also freeze this soup for up to 3 months.
More soup recipes here.
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 large potatoes or 2 smaller ones
- 300 grams peas, fresh or frozen
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt, pepper to taste
- fresh herbs to taste: parsley, lovage
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Peel and finely dice onion and garlic cloves. Peel and dice the potato.
- In a pot, heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil, then add the onion and gently fry until translucent, stirring occasionally. Stir in the minced garlic, then add the diced potatoes and peas. Pour over with vegetable stock, and season with salt, pepper, and finely chopped fresh herbs to taste.
- Let it cook on low for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes and peas are fork-tender. Then, remove from heat, add a tablespoon of lemon juice and blend until smooth.
- Pour pea soup on plates and serve.
- Optionally you can decorate with some plant-based yogurt or cream, a drizzle of olive oil, some thyme, a teaspoon of chopped peanuts, and blanched peas.
To make blanched peas:
In a small pot, heat 3 cups of water. When boiling, add a handful of peas, let it cook for a minute, then remove the peas from the boiling water with a skimmer and immediately place in a bowl with iced water. Let it cool down for about 5 minutes, then drain and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 191Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 658mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 7gSugar: 8gProtein: 7g
Nutrition data is automatically calculated using Nutritionix and may not be accurate.