This Purple Cabbage Chicken Lo Mein is delicious and easy to make in just 15 minutes. Skip the takeout and make a healthier version right at home!
Are we still holding on to our new year’s resolutions to a better lifestyle? Well, we’re certainly trying! We’ve been replacing cookies with smoothies, eating plenty of vegetables and plant-based meals and doing ok! So eleven days into the new year, it’s time for a comforting pasta dish.
The trick to keeping new year’s resolutions? Listen to your cravings and give yourself a break once in a while.
Did you know you can even make a pasta dish healthy-ish? Just ditch the butter and cream and load up on vegetables instead. Stir-fries are the best for this!
Adding color to your dishes is the perfect way to perk up your dark and gloomy winter days, and this 15-minute Purple Cabbage Chicken Lo Mein is just the thing to cook!
We love making stir-fries as they are fast and easy, and the combinations are unlimited! In this lo mein, we used purple cabbage, carrots, onion, and chicken, but if you are a vegetarian, just replace chicken with firm tofu! Toss everything in the pan, stir-fry and a couple of minutes later, your lunch is ready to serve!
If you don’t have purple cabbage at hand, regular cabbage works as well, or use broccoli instead.
Who doesn’t like a quick meal like this?
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 140 grams lo mein noodles
- Vegetable oil
- Soy Sauce
- 1 cup chicken breast - if you are vegetarian use tofu instead
- salt, pepper as needed
- 1 ts sesame seeds
- 1 ts pine nuts
- 1 tbs sunflower seeds
- 1 tbs almond flakes
- Prepare your vegetables: thinly slice or shred cabbage, peel and slice onion, cut carrots into thin strips or grate.
- Toast your nuts: heat a pan to medium, then add assorted seeds and nuts and dry toast until golden brown, stirring regularly. Remove from pan and set aside to cool down.
- Prepare noodles according to package instructions. I cooked mine in salted water for about 3-4 minutes, then drained and set aside to cool.
- Prepare your chicken (or tofu) - cut chicken breast into strips, season with salt, pepper, red paprika and garlic powder. Heat a large skillet or wok, add about 1 tbs vegetable oil and toss in the hot pan, stir-fry until cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add another tbs of oil if needed, and then add sliced onions and carrots to the pan. Stir fry for a couple of minutes, until fork-tender, scrapping the bottom as you cook to loosen the browned bits up. Add the cooked noodles, shredded purple cabbage, cooked chicken and a drizzle of soy sauce, then toss around in the pan to combine. Add more sauce if needed and give it a taste. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with a sprinkle of toasted nuts.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 523.8Total Fat: 19.28gSaturated Fat: 2.79gSodium: 871.32mgCarbohydrates: 68.07gFiber: 7.86gSugar: 9.17gProtein: 24.28g
More pasta recipes here >
Follow us to see plenty of healthy recipes that will help you get back on track after the Holidays 😉
If you like this recipe, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #vibrantplate and tag us @vibrantplate. We’re always happy to read your feedback and LOVE seeing your take on our recipes.