Make Crispy Falafel in a Hummus Wrap at home easily for your perfect lunch or meal-prep. This recipe is Vegan.
Mmmmm, falafel! We LOVE it! Since discovering it for the first time about a decade ago in a narrow alley in Paris, France, we’ve recreated it (and made variations) so many times, it’s become a staple in our household.
We have fried it, pan-fried it, we eat it in salads and even in burgers. It’s versatile, filling, comforting and healthy.
This time we made it as a Crispy Falafel Hummus Wrap, for an ultimate grab&go lunch!
How to make your falafel crispy
The best way to make your falafel crispy is to fry it – like it is done in its original recipe. Though for best results we recommend using dry chickpeas that you soak in water overnight.
But if you are in a pinch and yearning for a good falafel, canned chickpeas will work just as well (and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise, we use canned all the time, but dry chickpeas is indeed better!)
The downside of this is, it is fried. Like in oil. Like, not healthy, right?
Well, if this is your once-in-a-while thing, a little frying will do you no harm, but bring out the flavors of the chickpea and make it extra crispy.
But if you would rather not fry it, try our pan-fried falafel recipe here.
How do you make falafel
Making falafel is really easy, but you will need a food processor with a large bowl. In a pinch, a small bowl will work, just blend your dough in smaller batches.
After blending, it’s off to the refrigerator for at least half an hour. I recommend making the dough in the morning and refrigerate it until lunchtime, so the wait does not interfere with your feeding schedule.
Once refrigerated, shape the dough into small balls and just toss them into the hot oil to fry until golden brown.
Once fried, you can serve them in this magnificent hummus wrap, or on a salad, or eat them as they are. Either way, this crispy falafel is delicious, and it’s even better in a wrap!
For the Falafels:
- 250 grams chickpeas, canned and drained
- 1 red onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- bushel of parsley
- pinch of salt
- dash of ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
For the wraps:
- 6 small tortillas
- 12 lettuce leaves
- 4 leaves napa cabbage
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 6 tsp hummus
- 1 tsp tahini
- frying oil
- Prepare the falafel mix: drain the canned falafel and place in a food processor. Add roughly chopped onion, garlic, parsley, season with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Blend until smooth. Then, add flour with baking powder, mix well and refrigerate for at least half an hour.
- Remove the falafel dough from the fridge, scoop out small amounts of dough and shape into balls. Set aside.
- In a frying pan or pot add frying oil and heat up. The oil is hot enough when bubbles appear if you drop some dough in it, and the dough floats. Place in the falafel dough balls and fry on medium heat until golden brown. Once fried, remove the falafel from the oil and set aside on a paper towel to drain.
- Prepare the tortilla wrap fillings: wash and dry the lettuce, shred the napa cabbage, thinly slice onion, cucumber, tomatoes, and avocado.
- Mix a teaspoon of tahini with a couple of spoons water for a quick dressing.
- Heat a dry pan and warm up the tortillas. Spread each one with some hummus, add the vegetables and a few falafels. Drizzle with the tahini dressing and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 376Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 336mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 10gSugar: 6gProtein: 12g
Nutrition data is automatically calculated using Nutritionix and may not be accurate.
And if you too like falafel and want to try more recipes, check these out:
- Healthier Pan-Fried Falafel
- Easiest Lemon Tahini Falafel Wrap
- Leftover Falafel Salad
- Vegan Hummus Chickpea Burger
If you like this recipe, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #vibrantplate and tag us @vibrantplate. We’re always happy to read your feedback and LOVE seeing your take on our recipes.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our Newsletter – you’ll be notified when we post new recipes, plus you get a free gift from us 💚 A 15-recipe free e-book with our most beloved recipes!