This Vegan Thai Chicken Wraps with Peanut Dipping Sauce Recipe is your perfect to-go Summer meal. Easy, refreshing, and made in minutes!
Summer is my favorite time of the year, and it has finally arrived, with a bang, too. We are already deep into our first heatwave, and that means little cooking and vegetable-filled simple meals, like these Vegan Thai Chicken Wraps with added vegan “chicken” strips for protein, and a super delicious Peanut Dipping Sauce that you will want to have with your every meal.
It’s that good!
Just to clarify, this is a bit of a fusion meal, as tortillas are not very Thai, or like, at all, but the peanuts, lime juice, soy sauce, and rice vinegar give it a delicious Asian flavor and were the inspiration behind this dish.
These vegan wraps come together in little time and are very simple to make. Plus, they’re healthy & nutritious, and fully plant-based!
We used vegan chicken strips for the protein in this recipe (such as Gardein, Beyond Meat, or others). If you don’t want or have that, tofu or tempeh would work just as well!
This recipe makes quite a lot of ingredients, so you can easily assemble about 8 wraps, and make them for your meal prep. You may even have leftover dipping sauce, which is the main “culprit” for the higher calorie count – you can use it sparingly and so reduce the calories if that’s important to you.
Peanut Dipping Sauce Ingredients
To make the Peanut Dipping Sauce you will need:
- maple syrup for sweetness, you could also use agave or rice syrup as substitutions
- olive oil can be swapped for other types of vegetable oils, like canola oil, or peanut oil
- peanut butter for creaminess and taste; we used smooth peanut butter, but crunchy would work as well, or you could also use almond butter or cashew butter
- rice vinegar for acidity, skip it if you don’t have it at hand
- lime juice for acidity and a fresh taste, lemon juice would also work
- soy sauce for extra flavor, saltiness, and umami
- sesame oil, this will add that authentic Asian flavor and smell. We do recommend using a high-quality sesame oil which should be red-ish in color.
- garlic clove, because garlic makes everything better, but you can skip it if you don’t like the taste of raw garlic
- salt and black pepper to taste.
How to make the Peanut Dipping Sauce
This Peanut Dipping Sauce is really easy to make, and you will want to keep it handy for snacking. Just combine all of the ingredients in a bowl or jar and whisk until combined and creamy. We like to just add everything to a jar, close it with a lid and give it a good shake.
You can make the dipping sauce up to 2 days ahead and store it refrigerated in an air-tight container.
To make the wraps you will need:
- cabbage, use white or purple cabbage, whichever you have available. The purple cabbage would also add a nice pop of color.
- lettuce, choose a crunchy kind of lettuce, like romaine, and keep the leaves whole
- onion, white, yellow or red onion will all work, and you can also use spring onion.
- parsley or cilantro
- vegan “chicken” strips, you could also use nuggets, tofu or tempeh would also work
- tortillas, we used flour tortillas, but corn tortillas would also work. If you want a lighter meal, try replacing tortillas with rice paper and make fresh spring rolls!
- chopped unsalted peanuts for added crunch and peanut flavor, toasted cashews would also work well here.
How to make these Vegan Thai Chicken Wraps
Start by making the slaw: to a bowl, add shredded cabbage, grated carrot, sliced onion, and chopped parsley. Then, drizzle the veggies with about half of the peanut dipping sauce and mix until combined well. Set aside for a couple of minutes, during which time the veggies will soften a bit.
Next, cook the vegan chicken strips and lightly warm the tortillas, so they are easy to work with. We like to just place them in a heated pan for a minute or so.
Lastly, assemble the wraps and you’re good to go! Load up a tortilla with lettuce leaves, add the slaw and chicken strips on top. Sprinkle with some chopped unsalted peanuts, and then roll the tortilla into a wrap, cutting it in half to expose the inside for serving.
And that’s it!
Serve the wraps with the leftover peanut dipping sauce.
May we recommend enjoying these wraps outdoor, perhaps at a nice lake-side picnic under the shadow of a big tree, and embrace the hot summer days. We know we will.
These wraps are best served fresh as soon as they are assembled, but they will keep a day or so refrigerated in an air-tight container. The slaw may make the wraps a bit soggy, so just try to place some lettuce leaves between the tortilla and the filling to keep the moisture in.
Vegan Thai Chicken Wraps with Peanut Dipping Sauce
This Vegan Thai Chicken Wraps with Peanut Dipping Sauce Recipe is your perfect to-go Summer meal. Easy, Refreshing, and made in minutes!
Peanut Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- pinch of salt
- dash of black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp parsley or cilantro
- 400 grams vegan "chicken" strips
- 1 tbsp oil
- 8 tortillas
- 3 cups lettuce (choose a crunchy kind, like romaine)
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- Peanut dipping sauce: in a bowl, add 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter, 1 tbsp rice vinegar, 2 tbsp lime juice, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 finely minced garlic clove and season with salt and pepper to taste. Whisk until the sauce is fully combined and creamy. You can make the dipping sauce up to 2 days ahead and store it refrigerated in an air-tight container.
- The slaw: shred cabbage, grate carrot, and finely slice onion. Add to a large bowl, sprinkle with chopped parsley and drizzle with about half the peanut dipping sauce. Mix until combined and set aside.
- In a pan, add a drizzle of oil, then cook the vegan chicken strips on medium heat, flipping them over to cook evenly on both sides. Set aside, wipe down the pan and use it to lightly heat the tortillas (just so they're easier to work with).
- Assemble the wraps: take a heated tortilla, and load it up with lettuce (keep the leaves whole), the slaw and vegan chicken strips. Sprinkle with some chopped unsalted peanuts, then fold in the sides of the tortilla over the filling. Take the side of the tortilla closest to you and wrap it over the filling, so the sides close up. Once wrapped, cut your wraps in half to expose the inside and make it easier to grab and dip.
- Serve the wraps with the leftover peanut dipping sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 544Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 814mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 19g
Nutrition data is automatically calculated using Nutritionix and may not be accurate.
If you like this recipe, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #vibrantplate and tag us @vibrantplate. We’re always happy to read your feedback and LOVE seeing your take on our recipes.
Ger more breakfast ideas over here!
You can connect with us on our Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest. We share many behind-the-scenes photos and step-by-step recipes in our Instagram Stories, so be sure to check it out!