This Vegan Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe makes a moist, rich, and chocolatey dessert that you will love! Super easy plant recipe.
We are well into the all-things chocolate and comfort season, and it’s time to ditch cold salads in favor of warming soups, rich sauces, and chocolate desserts! This Vegan Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread will hit all the right spots, as it is rich, but not dense – it has a light fluffy and moist texture, is full of chocolate and has a hidden secret – a lot of shredded zucchini!
The zucchini adds to the cake’s moisture, making it anything but dry! And the slightly melted chocolate chips will add to a rich and creamy burst of happiness!
But don’t worry about the vegetables in this dessert – you will not taste the zucchini at all as they are very mild in taste (almost bland), and the double chocolate overpowers it.
You absolutely need to try this zucchini bread!
To make this Vegan Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread you will need:
- ground flax seeds to make flax eggs – this is super easy – just mix ground flax seeds with water and let sit for about 10 minutes for the seeds to soak up the water. If you don’t have ground flax seeds, add whole flax seeds to a mixer and process until roughly ground.
- all-purpose flour
- cacao, we like to use cacao in baking, but cocoa will work just as well
- baking powder for rising the batter
- baking soda
- salt to enhance the flavors
- cinnamon for extra flavor
- plant milk, we like to use soy milk when cooking and baking as it most resembles cow milk by nutrient content. Almond milk will also work.
- vegetable oil, we used mild-tasting sunflower seeds oil, but canola oil, olive oil, or melted coconut oil will also work.
- sugar for sweetness
- vanilla paste, or vanilla extract
- shredded zucchini – we like to shred them in the kitchen robot, but you can also grate them with a grater by hand. No need to salt or squeeze the water out, we need it in the recipe!
- dark chocolate chips for that double choco rich flavor
How to make this Vegan Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Making this zucchini bread is super simple! You just follow these 5 easy steps:
- make the flax egg
- mix dry ingredients
- mix wet ingredients
- combine the dry and wet ingredients
Let’s start by preheating the oven to 160°C / 350°F and lining a loaf pan with parchment paper. You can also just lightly grease the pan and sprinkle it with sugar. We chose to use the latter method, but if you worry your bread may stick to the pan, use parchment paper.
Next, make the flax eggs: combine 3 tbsp ground flax seeds with 6-8 tablespoons of water, give it a stir, and let sit for 10 minutes until the flax seeds soak up the water.
In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, cacao, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir to combine and set aside.
In a separate large bowl, combine the wet ingredients: plant milk, vegetable oil, flax egg, sugar, and vanilla paste. Whisk to combine.
Then add the shredded zucchini. Stir to incorporate, then fold in the dry ingredients until just combined. Don’t overmix the batter.
Lastly, fold in 1 cup of dark chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with more chocolate chips on top.
Place the pan into the preheated oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until baked through – insert a toothpick into the bread and it should come out clean when the bread is done.
Remove from the oven and cool down completely before serving.
That’s it! Your own double chocolate zucchini bread loaf is ready to be enjoyed!
See serving suggestions and storage tips below.
You can serve the chocolate zucchini bread as is. It’s perfect as an afternoon treat or as a sweet breakfast.
We like to slice it up into individual slices before storage, so it’s easy to grab. See storage tips below for more.
Store this Vegan Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread refrigerated in an air-tight container for about 4-5 days. You can reheat it slightly in a microwave before serving, just to take the cold out of the bread, but you can enjoy it cold as well. Alternatively, you can remove it from the fridge an hour before serving time to bring it to room temperature.
You can freeze this Zucchini Bread for up to 3 months. We recommend slicing it up before freezing, and freezing individual slices, so you can just grab as many slices you need. Let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then set it on the counter an hour before serving to bring it to room temperature.
This Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread retains moisture after freezing and does not dry up.
More similar recipes:
- 3 tbsp ground flax seeds (to make flax eggs)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cacao
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup plant milk (soy milk or almond milk)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 160°C / 350°F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, or lightly grease it and sprinkle it with sugar.
- Start by making the flax eggs: Combine 3 tbsp ground flax seeds with 6-8 tablespoons of water, give it a stir, and let sit for 10 minutes until the flax seeds soak up the water.
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients: 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup cacao, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp cinnamon. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the wet ingredients: whisk together 1 1/2 cup plant milk, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 3 flax eggs, 2/3 cups sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla paste.
- To the wet ingredients, add 2 cups of shredded zucchini and stir to incorporate, then fold in the dry ingredients until just combined. Don't overmix the batter.
- Lastly, fold in 1 cup of dark chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with more chocolate chips on top.
- Place the pan into the preheated oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until baked through - insert a toothpick into the bread and it should come out clean when the bread is done.
- Remove from the oven and cool down completely before serving.
How to make a flax egg: Stir 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds with 2-3 tbsp water and let sit for 10 minutes. If you need 3 flax eggs, combine 3 tbsp ground flax eggs with 6-8 tbsp water.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 378mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 3gSugar: 17gProtein: 5g
Nutrition data is automatically calculated using Nutritionix and may not be accurate.