This perfect Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is moist, loaded with chocolate chips and super easy to make. Just 10 minutes prep time!
We’re sharing a classic today! This recipe is perfect for reducing food waste and giving ingredients a second chance.
Black-skinned overripe bananas? Never throw them in the bin again, but turn them into a delicious plant-based dessert instead!
To make this Banana bread you will need:
- very ripe bananas, the blacker the better
- ground flax seeds, we will mix it with water to make a vegan flax-egg binder; if you don’t have ground flax seeds, you can take whole seeds and break them up in a food processor
- vegan milk; we like to use soy milk for baking, as it has more protein and is more like regular milk
- coconut oil; you could also use natural-flavored vegetable oil, such as canola oil
- maple syrup
- vanilla extract
- coconut sugar; will add a nice caramel-like flavoring to the banana bread; you can substitute it with brown sugar, or regular sugar
- rolled oats
- baking soda; if you don’t have baking soda, you can just as well substitute with baking powder
- baking powder
- pinch of salt
- all-purpose flour
- dark chocolate chips
To top the banana bread, you will also need
- 1 banana
- coconut sugar
Other ingredients you could add to the banana bread to switch it up: hazelnuts or pecan nuts, coconut flakes, dry fruit, like apricots.
How to make Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This is the best part. Making this banana bread is really simple, I promise! If you are already eating plant-based, you should have most of the ingredients on hand!
First, make sure you have 4 very ripe bananas (like black-skin ripe). You will also need 1 medium-ripe or green banana for decoration, but this is optional, so if you do not have it, that’s fine!
In one bowl, you will first mash the bananas, then add in the wet ingredients: ground flax seeds, plant-based milk, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
In a separate bowl, you will combine the dry ingredients: coconut sugar, rolled oats, baking soda, baking powder, salt, flour, and vegan dark chocolate chips.
Lastly, you will add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stir it to combine, transfer to a baking tin and place in the oven to bake. And that’s it!
Prep time should be just about 10 minutes or so and then you can do other things while the banana bread bakes for about 40-50 minutes.
How to store Vegan Banana Bread
We usually store our banana bread in an air-tight container on the counter. Here it will keep for up to 4 days. So that’s more than a half week’s worth of snacks right there!
You can also store it in the fridge, just do so in an air-tight container to prevent drying out and spoiling.
Why is Banana Bread so popular?
For one thing, banana bread is delicious and so handy as a quick breakfast or afternoon snack! This Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread will yield about 10-12 slices, so it will also feed a crowd!
Plus, it’s the perfect recipe to use up over-ripe bananas and reduce food waste!
So, do you have 10 minutes (and 4 ripe bananas) to toss this together?
Don’t forget, if you have any questions about this recipe, leave us a comment and we’ll answer as soon as we can!
Also, we appreciate your feedback if you do try this recipe, it always makes our day 🙂
- 4 bananas, ripe
- 2 tbsp flax seeds, ground
- 1/3 cup vegan milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 360°F. Line your baking tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl add peeled ripe bananas and mash with a fork until smooth (a couple of lumps are fine!). Add ground flax seeds, plant-based milk, melted coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients: coconut sugar, rolled oats, baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour. Stir in a handful or so of vegan dark chocolate chips.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and fold in with a spatula until just combined. Don't over-mix it! Stir just until you no longer see dry flour.
- Pour the mixture into your baking tin and spread evenly. Cut another banana in half by length. Use a less ripe banana for this. Press the two banana halfs into the mixture. Sprinkle a tablespoon of coconut sugar on top.
- Place into preheated oven and bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until the banana bread is golden-brown on top.
- Remove the baked Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread from the oven and set on a cooling rack to cool before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 163mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 3gSugar: 15gProtein: 3g
Nutrition data is automatically calculated using Nutritionix and may not be accurate.
This recipe is sponsored by Hofer Slovenija (you may also know it as Aldi). It is our favorite grocery store and we love their products. If you are from Slovenia, do head over to Hofer’s Instagram account for even more delicious recipes!
- See more delicious plant-based recipes here >
Don’t forget to subscribe to our Newsletter – you’ll be notified when we post new recipes, plus you get a free gift from us 💚 A 15-recipe free e-book with our most beloved recipes!