A delicious and healthy Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Spread or Vegan Nutella, that contains only 3 ingredients! Vegan, Gluten-Free.
Last day of the year and last recipe as well! Today we’re sharing with you another quick and DIY food gift idea, a heavenly Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, aka Vegan Nutella.
This Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Spread only requires 2 main ingredients: hazelnuts and dark chocolate. Depending on your taste you may add a small pinch of salt to enhance the flavors, a drop of vanilla paste or extract, and 2 teaspoons of a sweetener (we used agave syrup). Beware, the more sweetener you add, the stiffer the spread will be.
Making this Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Spread is really easy and only requires 5 steps:
- roast the hazelnuts (or if using roasted, just warm them up)
- remove the skin off hazelnuts
- blend the hazelnuts
- melt the dark chocolate
- mix to combine
The spread will be quite runny at first, but it will firm up with time, depending on your room temperature. Due to the modest ingredient list, this Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Spread is richer in flavor and also texture, so you may find yourself eating less of it than you would a regular chocolate spread. Think more like peanut butter, as it is basically hazelnut butter. But, did we mention, this spread is way healthier for you?
You can store this spread in an air-tight container for several weeks and it also makes a great DIY food gift for family, friends or neighbors… or you know, use it yourself, be it on bread, pancakes, oatmeals or by the spoon!
And with this recipe, we leave 2018 and all the Christmas desserts behind. Starting tomorrow we’re back sharing healthy recipes to help you with your New Year’s resolutions and getting back on track from the holidays!
And with that, we wish you a fun New Year’s Eve and all the best in 2019 😉
Kristina, Mitja & Gingi the cat
- 400 grams hazelnuts
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 2 tsp agave syrup
- Preheat oven to 170°C / 338°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Toss raw hazelnuts on the baking tray and place in preheated oven to roast for about 15 minutes. Stir the nuts once or twice to ensure an even roast.
- Once the hazelnuts turn a darker shade and the skin starts to come off, remove them from the oven and immediately transfer them to a kitchen towel and roll them around in the towel with your hands. This will help the skin come off easily. Discard the skins.
- Add roasted hazelnuts to a food processor or a high-speed blender and blend until nut butter forms. Depending on your food processor this may take several minutes (it took us about 10 minutes) and you may need to stop and scrape down the sides as needed.
- While the nut butter is blending, break apart dark chocolate and melt it over a hot water bath (bain-marie).
- When the nut butter is creamy, add in the melted dark chocolate. You can also add in a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of vanilla paste or vanilla extract. Blend to combine.
- Taste your chocolate hazelnut spread. Depending on your taste, add 2 teaspoons of agave syrup.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 106 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 5mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Protein: 2g
- Find more holidays recipes here >
If you like this recipe, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #vibrantplate and tag us @vibrantplate. We’re always happy to read your feedback and LOVE seeing your take on our recipes.