A simple and delicious dairy-free Olive Oil Orange Cake is light and fluffy with a strong orange flavor.
To finish 2017 in style here’s an easy dessert to serve at your New Year’s Eve Dinner, the Olive Oil Orange Cake.
Now, this cake may look simple, but it packs a powerful flavor of oranges and subtle olive oil notes. This Olive Oil Orange Cake is so fluffy and light, you will immediately want seconds!
How to make this orange sponge cake
With so few ingredients, this orange cake is really a breeze to make.
Start by preheating your oven to 180°C/356°F (fan oven 160° / 320°F) and prepping your baking tin.
I like to line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper, then grease the sides and lightly dust with flour.
In a large bowl or in your food processor, add 3 eggs, yolk, and whites, add 3/4 cup granulated sugar and mix for a couple of minutes until the egg mixture turns fluffy and lighter in color.
Then, add orange zest and juice, and olive oil. Mix some more to combine.
Sidenote, for this recipe, use organic oranges, as you will need to use the peel as well as the juice.
Lastly, sift in the mixture of flour, baking powder, and salt, and gently fold in with a spatula.
Your cake batter is ready. Pour it into your prepped baking tin (we used a round cake pan of fi 22 cm / 8-9 inches), and place the cake in the oven to bake for about 35-40 minutes.
Once the cake settles and turns a lovely shade of golden brown, check with a toothpick to be sure your cake is baked through.
Once you remove it from the oven, let it cool down completely, then serve with a generous amount of icing sugar sprinkled on top.
And that’s all! This is the perfect dessert for when you don’t want to fuss around the kitchen a lot, but want your coffee cake on the table pronto.
And if you’re feeling fancy, try baking this olive oil orange cake in a bundt cake baking tin, or even make mini bundt cakes or baked donuts!
Here’s also the video recipe for this easy Olive Oil Orange Cake with step by step procedure!
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 small organic oranges
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup (200 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- icing sugar to dust
- Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F (fan oven 160° / 320°F).
- In a large bowl, crack eggs (discard shelves), add 3/4 cup granulated sugar, and mix with an electric mixer for about 8 minutes, until the eggs and sugar are thoroughly combined in a light and fluffy foamy mix.
- While the eggs are being beaten, grate orange zest and squeeze the juice out of 2 small organic oranges. Add both to the foamy egg mixture, then also add 2/3 cup of olive oil and mix for another minute to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1 1/2 cup flour, 2 tsp baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Sift on the egg mixture and fold in gently with a spatula by hand.
- Cover the bottom of a round baking tin (fi 22 cm / 8-9 inches) with baking paper, and grease the sides with a bit of oil, then dust lightly with flour to prevent sticking. Pour batter into baking tin and place in preheated oven to bake for about 35-40 minutes. Check with a toothpick when your cake is baked.
- Remove the baked cake from the oven, take it out of the baking tin, and place it on a rack to cool down. Once cooled, dust with icing sugar to decorate, and serve.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 332Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 133mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 1gSugar: 28gProtein: 4g
Nutrition data is automatically calculated using Nutritionix and may not be accurate.
If you like this recipe, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #vibrantplate and tag us @vibrantplate. We’re always happy to read your feedback and LOVE seeing your take on our recipes.
By the way, tomorrow starts Healthy January! Follow us to see plenty of healthy, plant-based and no-added-sugars recipes that will help you get back on track after the Holidays 😉
Have a wonderful 2018!
– Kristina & Mitja