This Strawberry Yogurt Cake is fluffy, moist and dairy-free. A perfect Spring cake!
The other day I had a friend coming over for lunch. I know she will be reading this, and I know she will know this is her because I served her this cake. Actually, what was supposed to be a late lunch turned into the late evening hours. A whole bottle of wine later we realized, we have almost finished the cake between the two of us. Oops. Shit happens. Calories don’t count when you’re having a good time, right? Right?
This Strawberry Yogurt Cake must be one of the easiest cakes I ever made and it’s actually a twist on a go-to recipe of mine for yogurt cake. We agreed on lunch pretty late and with only a couple of hours to go (and I still had to do groceries for a paella I promised), I threw the ingredients together, just mixed everything, topped with strawberries and almond flakes and half an hour later, the cake was done and just in time!
Here I have to admit, Mitja – the official recipe taster, fridge cleaner, and leftovers eater – did not really enjoy this cake, but only because he likes his cakes with plenty of cream and little to no sponge.
Worry not, my friend and I did an excellent job cleaning out this delicious and fluffy cake. And by the way, this cake is highly versatile, because you can use almost any fruit you like if you want to switch the strawberries… blueberries, raspberries or peaches, cherries or even apples. So maybe give it a try?
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup oil (I used sunflower oil)
- 1 cup vanilla-flavored vegan yogurt (I used Provamel Soy Yogurt)
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbs dark rum or bourbon
- 2 cups flour
- 2 ts baking powder
- 1 cup strawberries
- 2 tbs almond flakes
- icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 356°F. Wash and dry strawberries and cut into slices.
- Separate egg yolks from the whites. In a bowl, combine egg yolks, sugar, oil, yogurt, lemon zest and rum (or bourbon). In a separate bowl mix flour and baking powder. Sift the flour into the egg yolk and yogurt mixture. Fold the flour in gently.
- Beat egg whites into a firm snow and fold into the batter.
- Grease a round baking tin (about 20 cm large) and pour in the batter. Top with strawberry slices and almond flakes and bake for about 30-40 minutes, until the cake is golden brown. Test your cake with a toothpick - insert the toothpick into the cake and remove it. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is ready and you can remove it from the oven to cool down.
- Once cooled, top with icing sugar and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 466.31 Total Fat: 30.5g Saturated Fat: 3.1g Sodium: 121.28mg Carbohydrates: 42.34g Fiber: 1.64g Sugar: 16.89g Protein: 6.21g
Like this recipe? Let us know in the comments below or on social media using #vibrantplate and tag us @vibrantplate.