An Easy Homemade Bagels recipe using just a few staple ingredients! The buns are Vegan, Dairy-Free, and Egg-Free.
I’ve been out sick for a couple of days with a sore throat, a slight fever, and zero energy. It sucks getting sick anytime, but it’s especially bad when the weather is as fine as it has been. Luckily I was already able to work yesterday and today I am feeling much better! I’ve heard of several others that are also out with a cold, or sore throat and I feel lucky we haven’t fallen sick with the flu or worse. The season has been brutal over here and we hope it ends soon. If it’s something I hate it’s getting the flu.
On the other hand, I have just exactly half an hour to finish this blog post as our electricity will be cut for the entire day due to maintenance. Imagine doing anything without electricity. We had our first glimpse yesterday when we were without it for 2.5 hours, and let me tell you, you mostly feel lost. I couldn’t work, as the computer requires electricity and internet. The internet does not work. Can’t cook because I have an induction stove. Can’t even open the fridge, because of preserving the cold inside. Couldn’t go outside because of my cold.
So what do you do in such cases? Any recommendations appreciated!
I ended up browsing Instagram and Reddit on data, then I folded the clothes (22 minutes), cleaned the bathroom (17 minutes, yes, I timed it!) and got a business phone call. And then luckily, the electricity was back.
Today, I am getting out of the house for as long as I can 🙂
But, if you do have electricity, why not treat yourself to some yummy food?
I’ve made these Easy Homemade Bagels so so many times in the past weeks, it’s a wonder I haven’t shared this recipe sooner! Because who doesn’t like homemade bagels?
And good news, these bagel buns are easy to make! And VEGAN! If you ignore the toppings in the photos (salmon and prosciutto), the bagels pictured are plant-based:
- the buns are completely vegan, dairy-free and egg-free
- the cream cheese I used is vegan (from Violife)
- and then I topped it with some avocado (double yum!)
Finish the toppings to your liking, whether you are vegan or not…. tomato for a purely plant-based version, or smoked salmon for the omnivores.
These Homemade Bagels are really easy to make, I promise. Because I wouldn’t be making them if it was complicated! Most of the time is just waiting around for the dough to rise and bake.
Actually, I am off having a bite of these.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- In a bowl, mix flour, dry yeast, salt and water. Knead until an elastic dough is formed. Let rest with a cover for about 2 hours, until double in size.
- Preheat oven to 190°C / 370°F. Place baking paper on a baking tray.
- Transfer the dough from the bowl to the counter, shape into a ball and divide in 4 pieces. Shape each dough piece into a ball. With your thumb and index finger pinch a hole into the middle of the ball and rotate it until the hole enlarges. Repeat with each dough ball, then let rest for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the water bath - bring a large pot of water to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Place bagels into the simmering water and cook for about 40 seconds, then turn the bagels over and cook for another 30 seconds. During this time the bagels will rise so allow extra space in the pot. Remove the bagels from the water bath and place them on the baking tray.
- Brush each bagel with soy milk and sprinkle with seeds (we used sesame seeds and poppy seeds).
- Place bagels in preheated oven and bake for about 25 minutes until golden brown. When baked, remove from oven and set on a cooling rack to cool.
- Serve with (dairy-free) cream cheese, avocado and other toppings of your choice, such as salmon, prosciutto or other.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 38mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 7g
Nutrition data is automatically calculated using Nutritionix and may not be accurate.
- Get more breakfast recipes here >
Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our Newsletter – you’ll be notified when we post new recipes, plus you get a free gift from us 💚 A 15-recipe free e-book with our most beloved recipes!