This Easy Chickpea Salad Sandwich recipe is a delicious and easy plant-based spread that is made in minutes. Creamy, Tasty & Vegan.
If you are looking for an easy and healthy meal-prep-friendly lunch idea, look no further than this Easy Chickpea Salad Sandwich! This Chickpea Salad is basically a vegan “tuna” salad, but using chickpeas instead of tuna!
This is a filling and nutritious lunch or snack idea that takes just 10 minutes to make and uses simple and wholesome flavorful ingredients.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Ingredients
To make this recipe you will need:
- chickpeas, we used canned for convenience, but you could also use dry chickpeas, just presoak them overnight, then cook until tender
- vegan mayonnaise, for creaminess, you can find it in all major stores and online
- mustard, for a kick of spice, use the kind you like the most, we recommend using dijon
- shallot, a mild small onion, or the white part of green onions would also work
- spring onions, use the green parts only (or use the white parts instead of a shallot)
- pickles, for saltiness and acidity, will add a “tuna sandwich” flavor to the spread
- fresh herbs to taste, we used such as dill and parsley, but chives would also work nicely. If you can’t find fresh herbs, use a smaller amount (like a teaspoon) of dry herbs
- salt and black pepper
How to make this Easy Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Making this recipe is super simple and easy, all you need is a food processor, or even a stick blender will do! This recipe comes together in just about 10 minutes and you get enough to make about 6 servings, so it’s perfect to meal-prep in advance!
If you are using canned chickpeas, drain them and give them a rinse, then place them into your food processor bowl. If you are using dry chickpeas, soak them overnight first, then cook them until tender, cool down, and then they are ready to use.
To the chickpeas then add the rest of the ingredients: vegan mayonnaise, mustard, diced shallot, sliced spring onion, minced garlic, diced pickles, chopped herbs, and salt and pepper to taste.
Pulse all the ingredients until they are roughly combined and you still have some chunks in the mixture, or mix it until smooth, it’s up to you!
Scrape the sides of the bowl as you mix as needed to make sure the ingredients are fully incorporated.
We made it a little chunky, but you can blend until smooth – if it doesn’t turn smooth, you can add a splash of water to help the process.
Once the mixture is blended to your liking, you are ready to serve or store it for later use!
Serve the chickpea salad immediately as a spread on bread instead of a “tuna” spread.
You can also use it as a dip, much like a hummus – scoop it up with some carrots or other sliced vegetables, crackers, bread, or similar.
Store refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
More similar recipes
- 400 grams chickpeas, canned and drained
- 1 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 shallot
- 2-3 spring onions, green parts only
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 pickles
- 1 tbsp fresh herbs to taste, such as dill or parsley
- pinch of salt
- dash of black pepper
- To a mixer bowl add the drained chickpeas, mayonnaise, mustard, diced shallot, sliced spring onion, minced garlic, diced pickles, chopped herbs, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pulse until roughly combined and you still have some chunks in the mixture, or mix it until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl as you mix as needed.
- Serve the chickpea salad immediately as a spread on bread, or store refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 134Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g
Nutrition data is automatically calculated using Nutritionix and may not be accurate.