A delicious and cheesy Mortadella Pizza Roll that will be gone in minutes. Perfect for picnics and party nights!
I know we talk we are reducetarian in our diet, as is we try to reduce the amount of animal products we consume. But, one thing to know about me: I love mortadella. It’s a cultural thing, I think. Where I grew up it’s a classic, mainly because my hometown is heavily influenced by the Italian diet.
No wonder, when the opportunity arose to partner up with Anton Meso Kamnik to create a mortadella-based recipe, I jumped in.
I mean, Pizza Roll with Mortadella!
Think a classic Pizza Roll but using mortadella instead of ham and rolled up in puff pastry to make a quick party snack in no time!
It was actually so good, we devoured it in no time #noshame.
We do recommend it for your next party or game’s night, as it is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
And we admit, this is not our usual kind of recipe, as to make this pizza roll we did use a few pre-bought shortcuts, like ready-made puff pastry and tomato-based pizza sauce. But it’s summer, and it’s hot and sometimes you just want to be done with cooking fast.
But if you like, you can substitute the store-bought tomato pizza sauce with homemade sauce or even sliced tomatoes (’tis the season after all!). And if you don’t have mortadella on hand, or cannot find it (although we strongly suggest that you do!), just replace it with cooked ham or other deli meat of your choice.
Take 10 minutes to prep and about 20 to bake, and this delicious cheesy pizza roll will be on your table and ready to serve in just about half an hour!
- 275 grams puff pastry
- 16 thin slices of mortadella Anton
- 200 grams mozzarella
- 4 tbs pizza sauce
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 390°F.
- Roll out your puff pastry, if needed separate from the baking paper and dust lightly with flour. Place the puff pastry on a new sheet of baking paper. The longer edge should be facing you.
- Place half the mortadella slices over the rolled out puff pastry, creating a wave (do not place them flat, but make it a bit wrinkly, so it adds height). Leave about a half-inch (a centimeter) of pastry on the borders uncovered.
- Slice mozzarella and place it on top of the mortadella. Sprinkle with pizza sauce. Cover with the remaining mortadella slices.
- Roll the pastry: gently pick up the longer pastry edge closer to you and lift it up and away from you and over the filling, just enough to create a closed up edge. Repeat with both of the shorter edges. Lastly, take the long edge furthest from you and roll it over the filling towards you. Make sure to securely pinch and close up all borders.
- With a sharp knife, slice the top of the pastry repeatedly.
- Coat the dough with some milk, then place the pizza roll along with the baking paper on a baking tray and place into the preheated oven.
- Bake from 12 minutes at 200°C / 390°F, then lower the temperature to 180°C / and bake another 10-15 minutes, until the pastry is a golden toasted color.
- Remove from the oven, set aside for a minute to cool, then slice and serve.
- Can be served hot or cold. Store in fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 292Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 517mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 11g
Nutrition data is automatically calculated using Nutritionix and may not be accurate.
If you like this recipe, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #vibrantplate and tag us @vibrantplate. We’re always happy to read your feedback and LOVE seeing your take on our recipes.
Need more party snack ideas? Click here.
Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our Newsletter – you’ll be notified when we post new recipes, plus you get a free gift from us 💚 A 15-recipe free e-book with our most beloved recipes!