Summer is officially here and it was about time, wasn’t it? I don’t know about you, but I do like the warmer and sunny days, especially after all the rain of this spring.
The season brings also a fresh crop of delicious peas. I was lucky enough to get a beautiful yield from my mom’s garden, but I got to peel it only late in the night after a long day away and was simply too tired for any pictures. Just get it done, you know.
Fresh peas are amazing. Sweet and tender, they are delicious on their own. But, the crop does not last long and they do keep extremely well in the freezer, so I just stored most of it right away.
Peas are also very versatile. You can put them in a sauce, as I did, or add them to a stir-fry, or add them to your mashed potatoes, or even to a soup.
I decided to combine them with chicken and bacon for a delicious lunch. Don’t believe me? Try this easy Chicken with Peas and Bacon in Creamy Sauce recipe and add a side of plain rice. I guarantee you’ll love it!
- 300 g chicken breasts
- 3 strips of smoked bacon
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tbs sourcream
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 tbs oil
- Wash and dry your chicken breasts with paper towels. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Peel onion and garlic cloves and slice both finely. Chop smoked bacon strips.
- Heat a pan on medium heat, then add a spoon of oil and lightly fry your bacon bits, then remove and set aside on a plate.
- Place chicken breasts into the pan and fry on each side for about 4 minutes, then remove from pan and set aside.
- Put sliced onion into the pan and stir-fry until translucent. Then, add garlic and stir while frying for another minute. Pour chicken stock over the onions and place back in the chicken breasts and bacon bits. Place a lid over the pan and cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Then, add peas to the pan and cook for another couple of minutes, just enough for the peas to soften. Remove pan from heat and stir in a spoon of sourcream and, if needed, season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with plain rice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 616.86 Total Fat: 39.42g Saturated Fat: 10.61g Sodium: 964.1mg Carbohydrates: 20.55g Fiber: 4.82g Sugar: 8.43g Protein: 43.49g